Napoca, which stood in the place of the city in ancient times, was founded by Traianus, the Roman emperor. Seven and a half century later, Saint Stephen made it the seat of the castle country Kolozs.
Later, the time of the autonomous Principality of Transylvania meant the prosperity of the city, the name Kincses Kolozsvár derives from this period (meaning Cluj, the treasure city). Matthias Corvinus, one of Hungary’s biggest kings was born here.
The most important historical buildings are the Saint Michael Cathedral, the statue of Matthias Corvinus, the Calvinistic church on the Kogălniceanu Street and the Bánffy-palace.
Cluj is placed on the European rode E60 that leads from Wien to Bucharest. The city has a direct train line to all of the bigger cities of Romania. The lines of four international trains go through the city, connecting Cluj Napoca to Budapest (Corona, Bihar, Hargita and Ady Endre). The finished parts of the Northern Transylvania highway also pass by the city.
Iuliu Maniu Street
The Iuliu Maniu Street connects the Main Square with the Bocskai (Cipariu) Square. Six historical building can be found on this street – under number 1-6, 8, 9, 17, 34 and 40.
If we look at the street from the entrance on the Union Square, we can see that the first three houses on the two sides are perfect copies of each other. This is why some know the Iuliu Maniu as the Mirror Street. In the beginning of the 20th century, the most famous shops could be found on the street level and many notabilities lived upstairs.
Previously, the Iuliu Maniu Street led only from the Bolyai Street to the Bocskai (Cipariu) Square. In 1849, Szendrey Júlia lived here for a while when she was searching for her husband. A tower of the city walls was also placed on the end of the street but it was torn down around 1838. The editorial office of the literary magazine “Utunk” was to be found in this street as well until 1974.
The Agape Hotel and Restaurant is in Cluj Napoca, placed in the heart of the city, on the Iuliu Maniu Street nr. 6. We started as a hotel in 2001 under the supervision and care of the Saint Michael Parish. One year later, we opened our self-service restaurant. In 2004, we won the 4-star rating and we opened our 7 saloons.
In 2006, the next step was to make attic rooms and to open the sauna and the café. We made some big renovations in 2011: we created a conference room and installed air conditioners. In the same year, we opened a new suite, which was the second place for accommodation of high comfort.
OUR MISSION, THE AGAPE
The word “Agapé” of Greek origin means love or it represents Christian love-feasts. Both the Hotel and the Restaurant’s staff consider it their mission to receive all the entering guests with love and respect, offering the attention and respect they deserve.
We believe that it is our mission to let a certain Christian spirituality pervade our daily routine. We are convinced that if we provide humble and reassuring attendance, we are fit to earn our guests’ love. This way they would know that the Agapé will always be welcoming when they return.